* Jaffna is the capital city of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka.
* It is the administrative headquarters of the Jaffna district.
* Prior to the Sri Lankan civil war it was Sri Lanka’s second most populated city after the commercial capital Colombo.
* The majority (99.03%) of the Jaffna’s population are Tamils.
* Most (82.95%) Tamils are Hindus followed by Christians (16.14%), Muslims (0.42%) and a small Buddhist minority (0.06%).
* Jaffna is home to the popular Jaffna library that was burnt down and rebuilt.
* The city is anchored by the Jaffna fort rebuilt during the Dutch colonial period.